Taking same hiv/aids meds for 8 years

Hi Dr,

I've been taking the same hiv/aids meds (lamivudine, nevirapine, zidovudine) for 8 years and they work great for me. My CD4 is over 600 (for over 5 years now) and my viral load is undetectable. Do you think these types of drugs can work that long - even longer than this?

Thanks and regards,

No standard limit to the long term effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy has been identified for patients doing well (suppressed viral levels) ona given HIV regimen. In general there has been a move away from zidovudine to tenofovir or abacavir in order to minimize long term toxicity issues which may be more common with zidovudine than the other two drugs. KH

HIV+ and I feel very sick.
Numbness, Radiating Pain, Burning, Tingling.