regiment change

Hello Dr Henry! I was taking zidovudine (azt), lamivudine and Efavirenz for 6 years. Now I changed to Abacavir, lamivudine, atazanavir and ritonavir. Does my new regiment help avoid lipoatrophy/facial wasting? Or is it linked to lipoatrophy? Thank you so much and have a great day!

There is modest published data on that particular regimen regarding impact on fat levels though what is in the literature and my own experience suggests that the risk for fat loss (lipoatrophy) with with current regimen is low to modest. The risk for fat loss with your current regimen is quite likely to be lower than with your former regimen particularly since zidovudine has been linked to fat loss at a higher rate/level that abacavir. KH

Crazy working hours and meal times on Atripla
Thank you