HIV/HEP C/E COLI

My husband & I are both co-infected with HIV/Hep C. Recent labs showed elevated kidney levels on myself & I was sent for an ultrasound and urine test. Urine test showed ecoli and I was treated with ciprofloxacin. My husband wasn't checked for ecoli at all. We eat the same foods. If it was food poisoning that caused it couldn't he have it as well? I wasn't sick at all before this occurred. Since I finished the antibiotic, we've both been sick. Vomiting, fatigue, loss of appetite and just generally unwell which is abnormal for either of us. Could he have it as well and shouldn't we both have been checked even after the antibiotic to ensure that it was gone?

Even several stool cultures can sometimes miss some gut infections. It is often the case where one member of a family may come down with an infection while others dont since the source of the infection can be hard to track down. E coli is a common gut germ so determining whether it is causing an infection there can sometimes be tricky (generally should not be in the urine however). Certainly if he is sick he merits a thorough clinical and possibly laboratory assessment. KH

without doctor
Treatment options