Liposystrophy

Dear Dr. Henry, I might have been your patient, once upon the time. This would have been at Hennipin county Med Cntr. I saw a reference to medications used for Diabetic patients, in treatment of Lipodystrophy. I saw a reference to,German doctors, having used R-ALPHA LIPOIC ACID (R-ALA)to increase insulin sensitivity,in patients with high level of blood sugar. Can you kindly name the available medication in US, if any for this purpose?

Alpha lipoic acid is available over the counter. Effective and safe dose, if any, for use in the setting of HIV-related lipodystrophy and/or to increase insulin sensitivity (the mechanism of action for the diabetes drug metformin) to my knowledge has not been well studied so I cannot make a dose recommendation. KH

Managing Lipodystrophy
HIV and MEDs