When to take PCR test?
Aug 28, 2013
Hello Dr. Henry,
I had an exposure (my condom broke during a vaginal intercourse)on august 20th. i started with viraday (atripla) the next day ( day 1) during mid day as a pep treatment, then continued on day 2 but switched to take it at night. I have the following three questions:
1) can i take my PCR test tomorrow ( 7 days ) , i kno i will not get a very accurate result? but can i rely on the result and be somewhere above 70% sure? as i heard that since i'm on medication already the number of copies could be undetected...
2) is viraday a good option for PEP ? can it be used for such purpose ? as i heard that in some countries other treatments are used..
3) is the gap i left on my second day of treatment of 9 to 10 hours much of an issue? from taking mid day the first dose , to a night dose the second.... am i considered as someone who initiated the treatment within 24 hours ( which i wld have prefered to be the case ) or i did so inside the 72 hours, is the gap i left made my first dose on day 1 somewhat useless maybe?
Thank you so much in advance
Response from Dr. Henry
This forum focuses exclusively on side effects of HIV treatment. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What If Your Chlamydia Becomes Drug Resistant?
- What If You Are Not Cured After Taking Bacterial Vaginosis Medications?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- What Are The Characteristics Of Chlamydia Disease?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Genital Herpes?
- Symptoms Of Syphilis In Mouth
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.