Using Arava while HIV-positive, low CD4 count

I am exploring a change to the treatment of my psoriatic arthritis and my rheumatologist suggested exploring Arava (I am currently taking Naproxen and Plaquenil). I am a little worried about suppressing my immune system, as my last CD4% was 19 (highest since my diagnosis) and my last CD4 count was 275 (I have not been significantly higher than 300 since diagnosis in 1997 with CD4 count of 4). Is Arava something I can even consider?

Immunomodulating drugs like leflonamide can be used with caution in HIV + patients if deemed warranted. The CD4 count may well decrease as you note-often prophylaxis with sulfa/trimethoprim would be started to provide protection against PCP and other conditions seen in the setting of low CD4 count. Many HIV+ patients do OK in this situation while maintaining good HIV suppression on their HIV regimen but each case is indifferent and overall assessment of health priorities needs to be individualized (ie for some patients the arthrititis is top problem for them so treatment for that needs to be optimized if possible). KH

Side effects of Lopinavir/Ritonavir
Side Affects of Stribild