Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is the Lone Lymph Node natural?
May 15, 2013

I received my HIV diagnosis almost a year ago and my doctor said the lymph nodes would go away. All of them have gone way accept for one. My NP tells me it will go away, however. On the last visit it was still swollen, firm and becoming slightly painful. The advice was to go to the ER to gain a more invasive exam of the node, but I can't afford the fee of an ER visit. Is it natural for a lymph nodes to linger for months after start of treatment?

Response from Dr. Henry

In general an ER is not a good place to have a proper diagnosis made of what is causing an enlarged lymph node unless there is a concern about a serious infection with swelling/pus that needs to be drained, cultured, and treated promptly. Imaging (X-rays) of the region and possibly a biopsy or excision (with careful attention to proper processing, cultures, pathology examination) are methods considered for worrisome lymph node enlargement. Many normal patients and HIV+ patients have some lymph node enlargment that is of no clinical significance so examination and monitorig is important to determine the level of concern.In HIV patients lymph nodes can sometimes remain enlarge and even sometimes swell up further after starting effective HIV treatment. KH

Previous
Truvada +kaletra or truvada+novir +reyataz
Next
What can I do about facial warts that I have been getting?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.