itchiness

Hi

I was wondering if you could shed some light on what is going on with me. I've been on Atripla for about a year or so now and my viral load is undetectable and CD4 above 600. Anyway, a couple months ago a parasite was found in my stool and I started antibiotics for it, one was metronidazole (can't recall the other). I started getting an itchy anus. Stopped the medication as turned out it was a parasite that didn't need treatment. Anyhow, saw my doctor, internal hemorrhoids were found, started using anusol and hydrocortisone cream, didn't work. Tried canesten cream and was relieved. Went back to the doctor and fluconazole was prescribed and seemed to work. Now am itchy in the groin area, lower legs and anus. Not as bad as before and happening intermittently. Could this be due to Atripla? (also been on champix for 2 months and quit smoking)

Seems unlikely to be due directly to the Atripla which you were on for 1 year without a problem. Taking antibiotics disturbs the standard gut flore so some patients get irritation from other germs that appear in that setting. Chantix can also cause a skin/hypersensitivity reaction. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist to try to pin down what is the likely diagnosis so a targeted management approach can be formulated.KH

Zinc y prueba de VIH
Testosterone pellets, exercise and HIV at 65