Recommeded Diet for ARV-associated GI problems?

Hi Dr Henry, Six weeks ago I switched to Combivir, Ritonivir and Atazanavir due to Truvada and Nevirapine resistance; and because my Bipolar makes meds like Atripla a bad idea. Tests this week showed normal bone marrow function, high bilirubin and slightly raised triglycerides and cholesterol. I have been suffering with abdominal pain and mild nausea to which anti-nausea tablets and Buscopan (used in RSA for stomach cramps) did not help. My doctor has suggested that enterits may be to blame and has placed me on a 10-day course of Topzole to give my gut a chance to heal. Do you have any comments on my situation? More importantly, are there any foods/supplements that you suggest I should avoid/add to my diet to ease the discomfort?

Topzole (pantoprazole-Protonix in the US) is a proton pump inhibitor that has strong effect on decreasing stomach acid. Since stomach acid is important for absorption of atazanavir those drugs should be used together with caution particularly if some resistance already. Topzole like drugs would be useful for severe gastric refluz disease but that diagnosis has not been established and their other drugs available that are milder and perhaps better suited for use with atazanavir-I would discuss with your HIV specialist and/or pharmacist. The AZT in Combivir and the protease inhibitors both can have gut symptoms that are often worse than your prior regimen and can take weeks/months to settle down. The elevated bilirubin is usually an expected atazanavir effect and generally is not worrisom. Taking meds with one of your standard full meals is recommended-I cannnot with any confidence recommend a specific diet change that would routinely improve matters for you. KH

Osteopenia
Bad taste in mouth