going back to combivir and fear of renewed lypoatrphy

Hi Doc, I went off d4t some 5 years ago after severe lyopatrophy. I have since really seen some improvement on my face arms, buttocks and legs. However recently, after experiencing some problems with my kidney function, my doctor has changed my current regimen of truvada, atazanavir and ritonavir to combivir, atazanavir and ritonavir. However I am a bit worried about the combivir and possible return of the lypo. As it is I am between a rock and a hard place: the possiblity of serious kidney problems or the possibility of another lypo episode. I really need your thoughts on this thanks

Choosing between increased risk for lipoatrophy and kidney problems is frustrating for sure. If you are HLA B5701 negative abacavir instead of zidovudine may be an option that might diminish risk for both lipoatrophy and renal impairment for you. There is a new form of tenofovor in development that may have less of a risk for renal problems (possibly 1-2 years out). KH

viral load
Long Term Effect Combivir/Sustiva