HIV+ and diagnosed with strep throat

Hi. I've been positive for a little over a year now. I am on Complera and my last CD4 count was 923 and viral load undetectable. I had a fever over 102 for the past two days and went to my primary care doctor today. She did a throat swab that came out positive for strep. She put me on amoxicillin. I was reading about the fact that recently in New York there has been somewhat of an outbreak of meningitis. My doctor told me that if I had a really stiff neck then it may be but she doubts it. My neck is a little stiff but I don't know if that's from the fever and being in bed all day or something more. I never got the meningitis vaccine. How could I tell if what I have is plain strep or something more? Could this strep be a sign of being reinfected with HIV?

Although it is theoretically possible that you could have another condition (a new HIV infection though that seems unlikely since you are on Complera or meningitis though the antibiotic and symptoms/scenario make both of those seem very unlikely) the scenario you describe seems very consistent with strep infection of the pharnyx--I would generally monitor and inform your HIV doctor if the symptoms worsen. KH

sleep medications and complera
cd4 and t cell improve with medecine