Just reading the Life Expectancy Question 6-27-2012

Dr. Henry,

Thanks for providing the VACS index link....was most interesting. I get care at the VA and had not seen nor heard that before and will show and discuss with my Doctor on my next appointment. Wanted to also give encouragment to the asker of the question as I was diagnosed/hospitalized in 2008 with PCP, DMAC and Histoplasmosis and had a CD4 of 6. After discharge, entered the ID Clinic (where I get awesome care btw) and have been on Atripla since. My VRL is <20 and my CD4 has been stable the last few tests in the mid 200's. Also still on Dapsone and Itraconazole and have had a couple of issues surface from time to time (like having to take INH for 9 months) BUT for the most part, been feeling great and doing great....working full-time....except for making sure I am adherent to my meds and making sure I set aside time for LABS and Clinic appointments, I am living a normal life as I did before my diagnosis.

Thanks for the follow-up. I hear many good things about the HIV care in the VA system from many patients illustrating how access to good care is a crucial element of HIV care in the US yet is sadly lacking for many patients. KH

Efavirenz and long-term antidepressant use
Lack of Intrinsic Factor and gut leak issues