changing Atripla to eviplera

Dear Dr. Henry, I have been told by my internist to change from Atripla (started: Dec 2010, cd4: 750-900 vl: undetectable, very good physical condition, age:38 gender:male) to eviplera as I have been showing signs of depression(only side effect experienced until now). My question: I would like to know if there are any risks involved and how will the transition from one med to the other will feel? Thanks in advance. Patient.

The efavirenz in Atripla can contribute to depression in some patients. Switching to Eviplera (Complera in US) is essentially a switch from efavirenz to rilpivirine which has a lower rate of central nervous system/psychiatric side effects (though still can occur). Rather than adding another drug to treat depression if one of the drugs you are taking is contributing to depression then often a switch to an alternative medication is often a reasonably plan to try on a trial basis. KH

left eye vision irregularity, left side of face also numb, and increasing consistent pain in left heel
Efavirenz and long-term antidepressant use