PCP and TB negative

Dr. Keith,

Long story short, I (recently) tested positive for HIV and then my doctor thought that my flu symptoms were more like pneumonia, she, as a precautionary measure put me on Bactrim and we scheduled a Bronchoscpy a few days later to verify. I ended up having a pretty bad allergic reaction to the Bactrim and was in the hospital for almost 4 days. They ran all the tests took more x-rays but all of the tests they did came back negative. Since I had a mild case - per the x-rays and my oxygen levels were constantly above 90 (without Oxygen) I was sent home and given Mepron (5ml) to take twice daily and Azithromyacin (1200) to take once a week. My doctor doesnt want to start me on HAART until I have "cleared" my pneumonia. I should also mention that after my bronchoscopy (they couldn't go through my nose because I have very small nasal passages) I had a pretty bad nearly my worst ever breakout of cold sores that took me about 10 days to get over while trying to recover from the hospital stay and pneumonia. Now I am at the end of my medication and am starting to cough again as I try to get around and be more active, still have shortness of breath sometimes, and tightness they all come and go. (for hours I can go about no problem) and then it will hit, Triggered by smoke, or heavy smells, cold air - changes in general I guess. My next Dr. appt is scheduled in just over a week - should I be concerned or are these normal - parts of recovery? I know that Mepron can have some sideffects like dizzyness. I guess I am asking what are your thoughts on my situation, as far as recovery and treatment.

Treating Pneumocystis pneumonia in context of HIV infection/AIDS can be very difficult- particularly a challenge when sulfa allergy develops. You have had a rough start-hopefully beinning HIV drugs (antiretroviral therapy) will be better for you and is generally recommended soon after diagnosis if AIDS in most cases. it sounds like you need to have a clinical assessment focusing on your lung status/recovery from the recently diagnosed pneumonia. KH

Son died
Rash After 1 Week Pep