Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Son died
Feb 24, 2013

In september i found out my son had HIV he said that he has had it since 2010. In september he started to have a plueral effussion and had to get drained in the beginning twice a week and then once a week until one day in January when i took him in they told me that they could not drain him because his sodium level was low. so the following day i took him to the ER because he was having shortness of breath. They admitted him and got drained that following Monday ( got admitted on Sat.) They ended up keeping longer because they said that after his blood work came back they found that he was low on protein, mag, sodium, and other stuff. So that Tuesday night he started bleeding really bad from his rectum and started to vomit blood. They did an endoscopy and they found nothing. Prior to this they had done a Liver biobsy, too because they kept saying that he had lymphoma they transfused 2 units of blood and transfered him to the ICU because he was really weak. Then they took him into surgery to try and correct the plueral effussion and he just went downhill from there and never recovered and passed away. The doctors said that it was all because of his underlying problem of the AIDS but my son went into the hospital having only HIV. Could the AIDS have occured because of the surgery? There are just so many unanswered questions that i think they are covering up something.

Response from Dr. Henry

Very sorry to hear about your son's illness and death. Lymphoma is an AIDS defining condition that is often very often difficult to treat often with many challenging complications such as some that your son unfortunately experienced. AIDS patients with lymphoma sometimes dont do well even in the best hospitals. KH

Previous
after effects of combivir
Next
PCP and TB negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.