Eplivera and Leg pains

HI. My doctor has just put my on Eplivera as my first HIV regime. He says it gives less nightmares. However I took my first tablet 3 weeks ago and woke up with acute pains in both legs and the back, like contant pins and needles and a sore itchy penis ( I also have Herpes.) We stopped after 1 tablet and 3 weeks later tried again, however the same thing happened, itchy legs, sore penis and not being able to sleep. He can not understand why this is. My CD count is 370 and viral load is 25,000. Do you have any suggestions?

I believe that Eplivera is a form of rilpivirine + emtricitabine/tenofovir (Complera in US)? You are describing an impressive reaction to initial exposure to the drug that is not common but nervous system side effects still can be seen with rilpivirine though less likely than with efavirenz based regimens. Most of those type of reactions tend to diminish with longer regular use. If the side effects were annoying enought then consideration for another regimen seems reasonable (such as a boosted protease inhibitor or raltegravir based regimen) that would not have much overlap with the Eplivera in the side effect spectrum. KH

Stalanev-side effects
switch back to stavudine?