Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mega Mass and ARVs
Feb 1, 2013

My ARVs are Lami/Zido and Efavirenz. I'm naturally skinny, I didn't lose weight or anything. Today, I realized that I wanna gain weight. I wanna have a good physique.

Can I have Mega Mass? Will it be bad for me or anything? Please advise.

http://www.vitaminexpress.org/en/mega-mass-4000/prod7010.html#productcontent

Response from Dr. Henry

There is no published data to my knowledge of the long term benefit and safet of Mega Mass in HIV+ patients or other well defined patient populations.

The nutrition facts on their website are copied below: 1 serving (150g powder) contains:

49g Protein 130 Carbohydrates 12g Fett 826 Kalorien 3g Creapure® Creatin

Ingredients: Dextrose, Milk Protein, Maltodextrin, Sweet Whey Powder, Creatine, Tricalcium Phosphate, Thickener Guar Gum, Flavouring, Iron (III) Di-Phosphate, Vitamin C (Ascrobic acid), Niacin (Nicotinamide), Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E (as DL-Alpha Tocopherol), Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Salt), Color BetaCarotene (in Banana Flavor), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCL), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin (Vitamin B1; as HCL), Folacin (as Folic Acid); Biotin, Sodium Iodide.

Reviewing the list and data provided suggests to me that it should be OK for you to take the product. I would inform your HIV provider so she/he can monitor for any problems. I am skeptical about claims from nutrition products that, when properly studied, generally dont produce the results claimed in mostly anecdotal reports and dont document long term outcomes. KH

Previous
One Year of GI Issues
Next
Anal Fissures

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.