The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is it acceptable to have your inf. dis spec take over your pain management if stable
Jan 23, 2013

i'm seeing an inf dis spec for the first time in 25+ years after my internal med dr requested it. 3 years ago he requested i see a pain mgt doc for my severe pn. i've been on the same regiment for pain mgt since than, with no probs reg p.m protocol. than its back to the int med doc 2 times a year, with a quarterly visit to the pain mgt, and than see the inf dis doc every quarter. this on top of 900$ oop for my month coctail, is overwhelming me financially. i'm only working to pay all the bills. i'm wondering why can't my inf dis spec take care of everthing at this point. i live in oregon, if that helps. i'd like to remain anonymous as live in a small town and someone might rec my email. thank you for any helpful advice.

Response from Dr. Henry

You raise numerous good points (high cost of treatment, confidentiality concerns, complex care topics). ID docs often are not well trained or comfortable managing chronic pain and other medical problems and internal medicine doctors often not well trained with HIV care or pain control thus the need for multiple specialist and visits. Wish I could offer practical solution but I am generally frustrated myself with the high cost and at times challenges to care coordination that exist in the US health care system. Pxs doing well from HIV standpoint can often be seen every 6-12 months in our HIV clinic when seeing an internist. KH

Still not undetectable

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint