Allergic reaction after taking Atripla

I recently was diagnosed as being HIV+ and just over a week ago started on my first meds, Atripla. I developed an allergic reaction to the meds (severe lumpy red rash all over my body), went to the hospital, and they told me to stop taking them and see my doctor ASAP to get put on something else. The problem is, I can't see my doctor for another week as the practice is closed over the holidays. My question is, given that it's risky to stop the meds, if I am off them for a week will the virus become resistant, even though I've only been on them for a week? Or since I've only been on them a week, will everything be ok?

Ideally you should speak to someone in your HIV doctor's office. Rash is common with Atripla and often is treated through (such as with antihistamines). Stopping Atripla after a week can occasionally lead to resistance but most often does not. Your HIV specialist who understands your situation should be providing advice about the situation and your options if possible. KH

Temporary relief of HIV rash