Complera Questions

Hi Dr. Henry, I took Atripla for two years and recently started having trouble falling asleep, which seemed to arise more often. I did well on Atripla, but my doctor decided to try me on Complera to see if it improves my dizziness and sleep problems. Is it as effective against HIV? Atripla has kept me undetectable, and I want to stay that way! Do you think the Complera will help my sleep, and also do I need to worry about any wasting with it? Is it okay that I started Complera after being on Atripla for 2 years? Thanks Dr. Henry!

Complera has a lower risk of brain/nervous side effects that Atripla (such side effects can be seen with Complera as well). Complera is generally as effective as Atripla though there is some concern about it being somewhat less effective when starting Complera with HIV levels > 100,000 copies/ml and low CD4 counts (ie < 100) or in situations when the patient has a history of heart burn and having to take strong acid lower drugs. In the case of switching in the setting of HIV level below the detection level when on Atripla, Complera typically would perform well so trying on a trial basis may be reasonable (other options include use of raltegravir or Stribild or a boosted PI based regimen.KH

Malaria prophylaxis
atripla side effects