On tratment and night sweats

Dear Dr,

I have been on Atripla for 3 years, my viral load have been undetectable ,and my CD4 about 800. However, for the past 2 weeks I have had night sweats, similar to the ones I used to have years ago, on the onset of the infection. My latest viral load was not undetectable, but was 38. Could this be an indication that I may be becoming resistant, and that the virus is multilplying again? My Dr said that instead of having a follow up in 6 months, I should return in 3 months. Is it advisable to wait that long to determine whether I have become resistent to the treatment?

Thank you

best regards

Paco

A viral load of 38 copies is << 50 or 200 copies/ml that are the more clinically relevant thresholds for concern about possible viral rebound. 38 copies/ml I would consider to be fine---in our clinic we only read out < 50 copies/ml (ie below standard detection limit) even though the assay may give a read out such as in your case. It is highly unlikely that your night sweats represent virologic failure or a new side effect of Atripla after 3 years on treatment. Other possibilies (ie viral syndrome, hormone issues et cetera) would be more likely--recommmend discussing with your HIV provider. KH

CIDP
spilled blood