Metabolism Problems

Hi Dr. Henry. I am a 51 YO white male, 5'7", about 153 lbs. My current cocktail consists of Isentress, Viread and Viracept. VL-Undetectable, CD4's- 567. I am concerned about my body's reaction to exercise. Every time I exercise, my weight increases from 1/4 to 3/4 of a pound over night. Ironically, I actually have to STOP exercising to lose weight. It's not muscle, no one gains 1/4-3/4 lb of muscle overnight. Additionally, when I exercise, I crave sugar. I swear I could eat a whole box of chocolate covered donuts after exercising. When I stop exercising, the food and sugar cravings stop. My general labs are normal, no signs of diabetes, etc. Testosterone is actually a little higher for someone my age @ 645, but my sex drive is non existent (no daily sexual arousal= less calories burned per day=weight gain). Slightly elevated cholesterol @ 207 total. It is impossible for me to get below 150 lbs without starving myself. I know I am WNL of the BMI, but I have a small frame and really wish to be at the mid weight of 140. My assumption is that the mitochondrial damage from the Viread (NRTI) and the lipodystrophy from the Viracept (PI) are both causing this bizarre exercise problem. I am also concerned that my sugar cravings will lead to diabetes. Would love to try the new drug formulations but, I have a drug resistance to emtricitabine....all of the new, one a day formations will not work. Am I correct in assuming that this problem is caused by mitochondrial damage? Can anything be done? Thank you for your input.

I have no experience with your particular regimen nor have I seen published data describing metabolic features of that regimen. On paper it wouldnt jump out as one that is particularly hard on mitochdondria (tenofovir usually looks fairly good when assessing mitochondrial impact). Metabolic/weight problems are very complex even in general population with a host of newly discovered hormones and interactions nwith gut bacterial flora possibly playing major roles besides the simple calories + exericse= weight changes approach. Only by a process of elimination/careful drug switching could one determine if your current HIV regimen is the main factor (ie switch off the tenofovir and/or then Viracept) to alternative meds that could include a boosted protease inhibitor, etravirine, maraviroc and othesr. If any reader has experience with this regimen please post comments. KH

Covering up KS with tattoos
Fat Burner