Chronic anemia

Keith, I have hereditary Hemochromatosis, for which the prevailing treatment is drawing blood. However, blood tests also show chronic anemia, with the consequence that draws are often postponed. My HIV doc believes the anemia is not caused by my HIV meds, basing her opinion on recent literature, while the doc treating the Hemochromatosis thinks otherwise, also basing his opinion on the research literature. I've read that the early drugs did cause anemia in some patients, but that is no longer true. Can you shed some light on the subject for me? Whom am I to trust?

Which HIV and other drugs are you taking (AZT is the main drug associated with anemia) and what other medical conditions you are being treated for. Your current HIV status and results of recent iron/bone marrow tests would also be useful to be able to comment further. KH

LIBIDO
Hives