Atripla

Hi Doc. I started Atripla on Oct. 18, 2012 (1 pill every night) and a week later I was covered with a rash (arms, back, neck, feet and chest). I immedeatly contacted my Dr. and I was given: Prednisone, Zyrtec and Zantac tablets. I was also told by my Dr. to stop taking the Atripla. It has been 3 days now since I have not taken Atripla. I'm a bit worried, as I have never missed a dosage and I've been trying to keep a tight schedule for taking it (Atripla), will it still fight against the virus if my Dr. says I'm to resume after my follow up on Monday (Oct. 29, 2012) and how long does it take for the virus to build up a resistance against a certain type of ARV if someone misses a few days/dosage? Thank you and keep up the good work.

You ask some very good questions. Generally an effort is made to treat through Atripla rashes (most often due to the efavirenz component) unless very severe. Stopping Atripla can in some cases lead to resistance but a several day interruption is usually OK. The major concern is the how long efavirenz persists in the blood so that after 1-2 weeks it is the only drug lingering around of those in Atripla and that situation is sometimes conducive to generating resistant HIV. KH

ATRIPAL and Dizziness
Pain killers