The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal yeast infection
Sep 21, 2012

I am a 54 yr old woman w/a CD count of 450+-. I have been infected w/HIV for 22 years and for the last 6 years have been on Kaletra monotherapy. My viral load activity has been undetectable every year. Yet the CD count is slowly going down every year.

I have never had symptoms of anything out of the ordinary for 22 years, yet now I have been getting re-occurring yeast infections in my "butt-crack" that seems to be coming from my anus (I don't have anal sex, or any sex for that matter). Eventually it goes away with constant Myconazole treatment but my 2 questions are: 1) Even though viral load is nil, could my immune system still be failing? 2) I have a suspicion that my diet may have something to do with yeast infection from anus (digestive system). I drink coffee and sometimes alcohol, which I intend to cut out. Could that be a cause or a contributor, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Response from Dr. Henry

Has yeast been identified in that area during the outbreaks? I assume you have had a complete anal/rectal exam looking for other problems (internal warts, hemorrhoids, fistula). For local yeast infections in that area diet can help some patients( recommend dicsussing with dietician --often would suggest use of active culture yogurt products that can help restore/maintain balance of healthy bacteria that can combat unwanted germs). KH

From Positively Aware
Pain and numbness in my right arm

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint