I'm Having Bouts of Dizziness

Hi Dr. Henry, I've been having some weird symptoms on and off for several months and am wondering what is causing them. Back about 9 months ago, I woke up really dizzy in the morning, like my head was swimming really bad and once I even got nauseated from it. It lasted for a few days but was always worse in the morning when I'd first wake up. Well after a few days the symptoms disappeared...I had another brief episode of this a few months after, but didn't last as long. Finally, last week I woke up one morning and was very swimmy in my head again and if I raise my head up like to look upward it gets very dizzy. It is worst when I first lay down at night or wake up in morning. I should mention that I do have migraines on and off, and have for a long time, and I also have vertigo in my family, so could that be the cause? Or could it be med-related? I have been on Atripla for 2 years. But only 9 months ago did my dizziness start. Could it be neuropathy? But I am having no numbness or tingling or loss of feeling in any part of my body...I am going to see my doctor about this next week, just would like your opinion?

Unlikely to be standard HIV related neuropathy from what you describe (risk increases with lower CD4 counts and higher viral loads). The efavirenz in Atripla could be contributing to your symptoms but that would be a diagnosis of exclusion-more likely something else such as a middle ear (ie Menieres disease)or cerebellar issue so I recommend a thorough neurologic evaluation possibly involving head imaging/scan of some sort depending on findings and what is available locally to you.KH

prezista and blood clots
Atripla and Remeron