TRUVADA: Bloating/Belly Fat/Fatigue

Dr. Henry, I, too, have experienced some bloating and increased belly fat. Have been taking Truvada/Isentress for about 3 months. Also, fatigue. All other blood tests normal (thryoid, blood count, testosterone). I was first diagnosed in 11/2011 (age 57) initial VL=46000/ CD4 374/20% lymphs. This declined to 322/17% lymphs in 12/2011 and I went on meds. I stopped meds as of 7/3/12(mainly due to fatigue): CD4 =519 39% lymphs: The ID specialist feels it may be the Tenofovir and suggested Emtriva/Isentress/Selzentry as a possible alternative. (I'm somewhat concerned about possible Selzentry listed side effects.) After the tropism test, I will know about Selzentry: My question is: If it is the Truvada causing the belly fat (across the very top of the abdomen) and the fatigue, do you feel it would likely be from the Tenofovir portion of the combo? (rather than the Emtriva??) Thanks for your help!

It would be very unusual for your regimen to cause significant increase in belly fat within 6-9 months after starting treatment (though possible). More likely would be increased gas and gut irritation but not fat (can assess fat with CT scan) from one of the meds (tenofovir more likely than raltegravir with emtricitabine being least likely). If you are HLA B5701 negative might consider substituting abacavir for the tenofovir (cheaper and easier than switching to mariviroc). Fatigue and muscle irritation have also been reported with raltegravir but not commonly. KH

pep start period, duration and side effects
Bloating & HIV