Dark spots on soles of feet/Complications of Syphilis

Dear Doc, I am 50 yr old HIV+ black male. Diagnosed in 1994, started on meds in 2006. My VL is undetectable, and my CD4s are 760. Height is 6'1", weight is 195lbs. I am in pretty good health (no diabetes, no high BP, or high cholesterol). I take meds (lexiva,epivir,and viramune) 2x/day to control my HIV. Also, I have been diagnosed and treated for syphilis about 10 yrs ago. Question: How can I get rid of the dark spots on the soles of my feet, which seem to be a complication of my previous syphilis infection. I had the spots on my feet for quite some time now, and I really feel self-conscious, about my feet, whenever I go to the beach. Any suggestions? My last syphilis test was 3 months ago, and it came back negative.

Thanks in advance for your help, Clint

That is a tough question with likely no easy answer. Steroid creams can sometimes lighten dark spots though that is variable and not precise. Since other conditions may be present would recommend seeing a dermatologist if that is possible or discussing with your HIV provider. KH

Atripla
HIV and photosensitivity