Dr Henry i read ur answer to Joey

On july 5,2012, Joey posted a question regarding his hyper lipodystrophy in his stomach, and he said he would change from truvada+kaletra to truvada+efavirenz trying to avoid it. I just want to comment on this issue and tell you most assuredly that i am quite sure that stomach hyperlipodystrophy is due to one or both components of Truvada, for i have seen it very clearly develop on my body. (My case is almost a carbon copy situation of Joeys). Truvada makes my belly to bloat mercilessly and i also have gained weight, and i have repeatedly proven it is a Truvada side effect and not any other med. So if Joey is switching meds he should at least know that most probably remaining with Truvada will not diminish his lipodystrophy. Thats my opinion after being on Truvada for 6 months. Best regards to u dear dr. Henry.

Appreciate your description of your experience with fat gain and Truvada. There is a wide individual variation of response to meds from patient to patient. Studies of Truvada looking at fat distribution issues have noted a modest association at worst. Generally Truvada compares favorably to other NRTI combinations (AZT/3TC or abacavir/3TC) though it would be nice ot have good data supporting use of regimens without NRTIs (such studies so far have not been very successful). KH

Unusual Bone Pain
trizivir to complera