Liver Enzymes Too High. Do I Need To Switch My Meds?

Hello Doctor,

I was diagnosed last september and I am on Stocrin and Truvada for 9 months. In the beginning all went well; had no side effects and had been undetectable and CD4 counted above 500.

I still feel very well. Still above 500 cells and undetectable but my liver enzymes and CK levels are too high. SGPT is usually above 100 and CK is 526. It was 347 a month ago and 421 two weeks ago. I have no muscle pain or any clinical condition.

My doctor says Truvada might be effecting on CK levels and Stocrin on SGPT. She wants to switch my meds but I honestly doubt. What should I do? Do I really need to switch meds?

Thanks in advance.

Recommend full liver evaluation (hepatitis, scan) and muscle assessment. Published data about successful Switching off efavirenz to another drug for drug induced hepatitis (or even more rarely myopathy) is quite limited (even more limited for Truvada). That being said if there is no ready explanation after a work up and other drugs are available to you then a trial switch seems reasonable to discuss(ie raltegravir, boosted PI or mariviroc -if CCR5 tropic virus- for the efavirenz and and/or possibly abacavir/3TC-if HLA B5701 negative-for the Truvada). KH

reyetaz
MEDS