Atripla and weight gain

I'm french so sorry for the english mistakes. I have been on atripla for a little more than a year now. I have no side effects and my viral load is undetectable (it was 100000 copies before the treatment). The probleme is that my weight past from 70 kg to 82 kg in one year without any change in my alimentation. Doctors told me that Atripla is usually not responsible for weight gain and so I should do more exercise. But for me, Atripla is clearly the problem. Have you heard of people gaining weight under Atripla ? Also, I must told you that my liver formulations (ASAT and ALAT) are high (3 times more than normal) since I began the treatement. I have done all hepatitis test and everything is fine. Do you Think i Should change my treatement ? My weight gain is really unconfortable and I want to stop this ....

Thanks a lot, Alex

Patients often gain 5-10 pounds (3-6 kilos) after starting a variety of effective HIV regimens (that is termed a return to health as the weight loss caused by HIV infection is reversed). Diet and exercise, hormone levels, stress, gut micro flora, and many other factors can contribute. That weight gain is seen with Atripla (also termoed lipodystrophy of more severe) but usually Atripla is on the milder side of weight gain problems but there is wide variation from person to person (genetics may play a role). The increased liver enymes could be due to fatty liver though other diagnosis are possible-I recommend discussing your serious concerns with your HV provider--there is little data supporting that switching off the Atripla would predictably result in weight loss. KH

Sex Drive
Isentress/Truvada and arthritis