14 Days on Atripla, Throat Driving Me Crazy

I have HIV (8 years +, last CD4: 357, 18% & VL: 55,200) and I started Atripla 14 days ago. Ive had many of the side effects that people complain about, most of them relatively mild. Im still hoping they will go away. However, I have a pesky problem that I havent heard about or read about elsewhere:

I have the constant feeling of phlegm stuck in my throat that makes it feel like I cant swallow well. Its not in my sinuses, only in my throat. My throat also feels a little tight. Ive tried gargling, OTC cold medicine with pseudoephedrine, drinking more water and green tea, and NAC. Nothing seems to help. Its driving me crazy like I have something stuck in my throat day and night. When I do manage to spit some of the phlegm out, its whitish in color. Am I crazy or has this happened to anyone else? And is there anything I can (safely) take for it?

By the way, this is my first time on meds. I was never "sick" during those 8 years apart from the occasional cold and problems with IBS which predated my HIV. I just made the decision to start meds now because I don't want to get sick and I have more time now to deal with side effects and, if necessary, adjusting treatment.

Also, I do not have ready access to my doctor. It's complicated, but basically I cannot disclose my status in the country in which I live and work and so am being treated in a neighboring country. My next visit with my doctor is scheduled for two weeks from now (the plane tickets purchased, etc. and can't really afford to make changes...).

Thank you in advance for any experiences or information you can share.

For some patients milk, peanut butter, and some throat lubricants (Ie Pill Glide is over the counter throat lubricant) that are available can help swallowing problems related to somewhat large pills. Hopefully you dont have a stricture or some other problem in the esophagus contributing to the problem. If the problem persists then switching to an alternative medication might be considered (depending on where you live and which drugs are available there). Sometimes dysphagia (trouble swallowing) can be due to a neurologic effect of efavirenz that may improve after2-4 weeks on the medication. KH

understanding labs
will i get sick