Atripla Diarrhea

I started Atripla 6 days ago and immediately started to experience horrible diarrhea. It got to the point where two days ago I recorded going to the bathroom 13 times in one day. It was a fairly normal greenish/brown color consistently. My doctor recommended I stop the Atripla until Monday, which I did. I took one dose of Pepto Bismol yesterday and it helped in that I wasn't going as frequently. But today I've already gone 4 times (it's 2pm) and it's black (which I attribute to the Pepto) but still very watery. Luckily I haven't had much to do this past week, but I am worried about having to leave the house. Doctor recommended I try yogurt, and I've also read that taking Tryptophan might help. Any suggestrions?

I generally dont recommend starting and starting Atripla in the setting of HIV infection due to concerns about development of resistance. Some patients (small percent) of patients starting Atripla develop loose stools from tenofovir or one of the other components of Atripla. Your experience is out of the ordinary so I would be suspicious for another factor such as an intercurrent gastroenteritis--no convincing data that I am aware of that tryptophan is of benefit for Atripla related diarrhea. Aggressively maintenance of hdyration and sometimes antidiarrheal meds are often useful in this setting. KH

specialist in lipodystrophy type conditions
Atripla