Fever after third week of treatment HIV

Dear Keith Henry, From May 11,2012 I have started my HIV treatment with Viramune and Kivexa. 19th day (May 30) I felt weakness and tiredness. I measured my temperature and it was 39 C. I called my medical nurse and she told that it can be flu and I should continue to take my medicine. My temperature went up to maximum 40 C. I could manage to keep my temperature around 37.5 C with taking paracetamol every 4-5 hours time period. Today I took Viramune and Kivexa at 1 p.m. as usual but also took paracetamol since I have 38.0 C. At 1.40 p.m. I vomited a little bit. Now my temperature is 37.5 C and feeling better. My body is clean, no rush, my eyes are also not yellow,usually I do not feel vomit,diarrhea and stomach pain. But sometimes I cough. I would like to ask how can I differ if my situation is just a flu or side effect of Viramune or Kivexa? Thank you in advance for your answer, regards,Djamkam

Both nevirapine and the abacavir in Kivexa can cause serious side effects that often involve a rash and fever and other symptoms. Your symptoms could be due to a gastroenteritis (gut flu) or other condition that often can improve--I recommend that you discuss with your HIV provider since it can be a challenge to sort out the cause. The symptoms do not sound classic for a drug side effect but an evaluation is in order. KH

Can HIV result in neuropathy / neuropraxia
specialist in lipodystrophy type conditions