Can HIV result in neuropathy / neuropraxia

I have been HIV+ for approximately 18 months. I have not commenced taking anti-retrovirals as my viral load and CD4 counts have been travelling ok. I am considering starting medication over the next couple of months.

I recently discovered I was unable to flex my right ankle. I left it for a day and then went to ER after some online research indicated there may be some nerve damage. The doctor suggested I may have bruised my peroneal nerve and some degree of control began to return to the ankle after 24-48 hours. Movement is now back to 90% of what it should be, but I am unable to sustain weight through my right heel.

Could this neuropraxia be HIV-related? Will commencing HART help with my recovery process? Will I regain full strength and function of the ankle (and if so, what sort of timeframe am I looking at)? This is important to me as I am a dancer and movement is critical.

HIV related neuropathy is not common in HIV+ persons with high CD4 counts and is rarely (though can be) localized in the manner you describe-most likely due to another factor--recommend discussing with your HIV provider and/or HIV experienced neurologist. KH

anal cancer and blindness
Fever after third week of treatment HIV