Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anal cancer and blindness
Jun 1, 2012

My partner just passed away in March. He and I both have/had the virus. We did not take the same cocktail but I went to a support meeting not long ago and the information was given that people on the cocktails over ten years can get anal cancer and blindness from even taking the meds correctly but the virus is mutating to cause this to happen--I believe, nationwide. The source of this info comes from the disease center in Georgia.

I would like to know if this is true and I understand my partner could have been saved if the doctor would have acted in a timely manner. My partner went in complaining about what he thought was hemorrhoids, but was actually the HIV-related cancer. I believe that the doctor should be dismissed for not checking this out in the early stage. my partner could have been saved. I understand that the blindness cannot be helped. So what gives about the concern with this new way the virus can cause this and why are people not being educated to the fact too?

I mourn greatly about my partner's death and not only cry a lot but I am angry for the neglect that was done. I am thinking of just stopping my meds cause it looks like 'hope' has grown dim.

Response from Dr. Henry

Anal cancer is an increasing threat to the health/life of HIV+ persons. Anal cancer is caused by the human papilloma virus. Anal pap testing is under evaluation as a screening test for anal cancer for men and women (higher risk if HIV+).Physical evaluation by a clinician and intervention (often topical therapies or sometimes surgery) if concern about anal concern is raised is recommended. Anal cancer is a terrible disease so more attention needs to be pain to it. Blindness in the setting of HIV/AIDS is often due to a virus infection (CMV typically). It can be treated in most cases. I recommned discussing your concerns with your doctor. Late stage AIDS, blindness complicating AIDS, and advanced anal cancer all can be tough to treat so early detection/treatment is highly recommended. I am sorry for your loss. KH

Previous
neuropathy in legs
Next
Can HIV result in neuropathy / neuropraxia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.