BELLY LIPOSUCTION

Hi, I am on Reyataz Norvir and Truvada, healthy, cd4 over 600 always poz 5 years. I have developed a round belly. I have exercised, watch food intake and done everything to control, but it is still there. I was thinking of getting Liposuction, but was wondering if I get this done, if the problem will come back. ( I have had done Zeltiq and initially there was improvement, but now the problem is back). Do you know if Lipo would work or is this a losing battle? Thanks

There is not much published information about the long term effectiveness of liposuction in the setting of treated HIV infection. For some patients the increase fat may be intra-abdominal and thus not accessible to routine liposuction of the subcutaneous fat layer (in HIV infection loss of subcutaneous fat is often more of a problem than an increase in fat). A discussion with your HIV provider is recommended-an abdominal CT scan is sometimes done to determine the relative amounts of subcutaneous versus intra-abdominal fat. Genetics can play a key role for some patients besides life style issues(fat distribution of similar or older aged relatives is a clue there). KH

Starting the treatment
Colchicine and Kaletra