Do I have AIDS, or is my status HIV?

Dear Dr. Henry M.D. I have a diagnose of Aids since 1997. I take my many medications every day and have remained in good health. My T-cells are in the 590's and viral load is less than 20 copies. I often don't have the stamina to keep up a regular life sechedule, and find that I need to rest often. Yet, I see friends with more engery and are able to out last me. Lastly, I am often told that I am HIV only, and no longer considered to have AIDS. I would appreciate some advice, as I am getting confused. I hope that I have made some sense in explaining myself to you. Thank-you in advance Gregory

The disgnosis of AIDS in the US is made on the basis of having had CD4 count < 200 or one of approximately 20 AIDS defining conditions. Once a diagnosis of AIDS is made then that sticks to a patient even if treatment with ART has resulted in good recovery of CD4 increases and good health (similar to having a healed broken bone though there remains evidence of a healed fracture on X-ray. KH

CD8 Function
Resistance for medicines!!!