Headaches and HIV

Dr. Henry: 20 years positive, on Sustiva and Epzicom. Age is 70 y/o. Have had stroke in 1999. Left brain stem. Now having uncontrollable migraines almost 24/7. Wake up with them, go to bed with them. My HIV specialist is not aware of what HIV can do to cause such headaches. Neurologist has planned MRI in two more days. Take 5mg Hydrocodeine for the pain. Help. I cannot put up with these much longer. I am at wit's end. Either help me or talk to my HIV dr. so I can go on living. There are days I want to cut off my head (figuratively). Help. There must be something other than taking Hydrocodeine constantly. C. Benedict

You paint a frightening picture-if no clear other cause found with work up might consider switching off the Sustiva in case it is contributing to the headache due to its CNS/brain properties. There are alot of treatments (triptan class of drugs or ergotamine or dihydroergotamine for example) available for vascular/migraine headaches that can be helpful besides narcotic pain meds so if there is a strong sense that your headaches are vascular then one or more of those medications might merit trying on a trial basis. For severe pain, titrating meds (including narcotics--often long acting) to achieve more continuous pain control is important for patient comfort. KH

folliculitis and HIV + patient doing well
Pain in the bottom of my feet legs and hip.