anal itching

I have been diagnosed with HIV for over four years now and have subsequently been on medicine (Atripla) for a year and a half. I am a physically active individual and my viral and CD4 count have been controlled very well from the medication. However, over the years, I have dealt with anal itching problems that come and go. The anal itching is most bothersome in the morning or late evening. I have been using Resinol for now which seems to help but didnt know if there was something better.

I was diagnosed with HPV genital warts about seven years ago and have not had any outbreaks since they were removed since then. I also did have an anal pap about two years ago for this reoccurring anal itch problem and they found nothing problematic at this time. There is a slightly raised bump (pimple like) on my anus that has been there for quite some time. Im wondering if that could be a broken blood vessel or something worse. Should I get another anal pap to test for cancerous lumps? And what perhaps could be causing my anal itching? Is it common in HIV positive individuals?

I recommend repeat anal pap and anoscopy to look for evidence for yeast infection, HPV, hemorrhoids, or other common conditions(even in general populatuon) that can contribute to itching. Looking for other gut infections (ie pinworms) may be worthwhile as well. KH

Side effects?
forgot to take Atripla for six days