Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pancreatits occasionally and need advice/celiac survivor
Jan 4, 2012

I'm 43 fit male.. been on 3 drug combo meds at time of diagnosis 15 years ago. My t count hovers at loww 400 max and maintined undetectable for the first 13 years. DEPRESSION deeply affected my adherence in the last 2 years but recently been corrected. Many milestones but no drug resistance per genotype test 2 weeks ago. Celiac disease diagnosed as a child and seldom reoccurs as i seem to have outgrown the allergy for the most part. The pancreas pain has taken me to the ER 1 time and 2 other severe attacks of pain at home... my doctor stated "you have a fat pancreas/did ultrasound... no bloodwork in the ER. Should i be screened w additional tests? If i go on a greasy or junky diet i relapse w pancreas pains. I was on pentamide in hospital for PCP but the treatment didnt cause my pancreas to exhibit any pain at that time... just bad GI acidic water stools. *DO I NEED TO BE SCREENED OR TESTED ON WHAT CAUSES THIS? i had been off meds a year ago and numbers were very low on t cell and viral was 100K All my doctor told me is the pancreas due to its environment of tissue that HIV likes to harbour in my pancreas causing pancreas functions to be altered.... please give me any light you may have on what i might want to look out for. thank you, Tim in Houston

Response from Dr. Henry

Pancreatitis can be triggered by a wide range of problems including AIDS-related infections, high triglyceride levels, side effects of some drugs, alcohol, blockage of drainage ducts, and other conditions so full work-up is recommended. Some patients have a persistent irritated pancreas that can be helped by careful diet and regular use of pancreatic enzyme supplements if underling condition cannot be reversed or key aggravating drugs need to be continued. KH

Previous
is it safe to take african mango or green world products
Next
Eating Disorder

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.