The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

igA and Hiv -can be controlled?
Dec 9, 2011

Hello,,i am 29 years old and i want to ask you if someone has igA glomerulonephritis caused from Hiv,if he starts taking medication about the virus will it stop igA progression? If igA is not caused from Hiv but someone has both(hiv and igA),will have a worse outcome in relation with an hiv ngative person or he still can cotroll both problems and live long?(please tell me yes)kidney function is still normal,creatinine 0.92 last time and i have igA 4 years at least(i dont know if i have it more) i dont n even know if an hiv person can live long with dialisis or transplant(because of weak immune system)and how can a kidney transplant last in such situation. i am really terrified and looking for something to make me stop being afraid and hope that i can live a long life with my problems. i am really thankfull for your help since i have noone else to turn to, i wish you all the best

Response from Dr. Henry

The course of HIV-associated glomerulonephritis is highly variable so no one answer fits all. Treatment with effective HIV medications, angiotensin converting enzynme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors) and sometimes corticosteroids generally results in stabilization/improvement with generally good long tern outcomes expected. I care for HIV+ patients doing well on dialysis for many years and some patients post renal transplant who are also doing well so even in cases where severe renal damage has occured, patients with access to renal specialty care can often do well. KH

atripla crushed
Ok to stop after one dose?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint