Psoriasis

I found out that I was positive in October of last year. I have responded well to medication and the virus is now undetectable. For the past six months, I have had outbreaks of psoriasis on various parts of my body. Is this a side effect of the medication or a side effect of HIV?

HIV infection and psoriasis can occur in same patients. Since psoriasis is believed to be related to immune dysfunction it is not surprising that HIV infection and/or treatment can have varying impact on course of psoriasis. Most patients do OK when treated for psoriasis while on HIV medications though a subset there may be a paradoxical worsening. I would make sure that the diagnosis of psoriasus is corrent and if so appropriate treatment (often seek consultation from a dermatologist). KH

sores with hiv
Artipla and Valtrex