HIV and Hair Texture

Nov 30, 2011 im an african american male and have had "not so good" hair.."nappy" hair so to speak..i remember when i was younger(19) i would put S-Curl in my hair to make it curly..and then ..22 used the wave grese and wave caps to make my hair wavy..well none of that stuff really worked..LOL..well ive been on Atripila for 2 years and i started to notice my hair getting straighter and people telling me i got good hair? i can run my fingers through my hair or comb it in different directions and actually notice it..front back left right..i see the difference and ..i also notice my hair grows back faster. And if i let my hair grow out its so different than what im used my question is it the HIV or is it the Medication that's making my hair texture change?..o im 32 years just curious because i know how my hair used to be and how it is now..has anyone else noticed this about themselves?

You pose a good set of questions. As you might expect, detailed information about the impact of HIV and specific HIV regimens on hair characteristics is lacking so not much to refer to attempting to answer your questions. I have followed hundreds of African American HIV+ patients over the last several decades and havent observed any clear trends regarding hair characteristics (other than grayer and less hair as patients have gotten older). If any reader knows of a reference or has personal experience they would like to share please post. KH

Vasculitis and Hiv
alpha lipoic acid, interaction with Efavirenz + Truvada