Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV = holes in your immune system?
Nov 17, 2011

I've been HIV+ for over 24 years. A long time ago, my doc told me that upon initial infection with HIV, it pokes "holes" in your immune system that are permanent (presumably). He used an analogy like: if you remove the letter Z from the alphabet, you can't spell Zebra any longer, but you can describe it.

My CD4's are really good now (800-1200ish)... but I have noticed that over the years when I do get an infection (sinus, cold etc) it will linger until I get treatment (usually antibiotic). I've often wondered if this "hole" theory plays a role in this, or if my immune system is categorizing lesser infections accordingly because it "knows" something much worse is lurking?

If you do get "holes" in your immune system, later after your viral load is under control (mine has been for years, undetectable) -- can you patch those holes with immunization?

Can you elaborate on this.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Henry

Immunizations are generally effective and recommended for HIV+ patients with good CD4 counts (>> 200-350). The long term outcome in HIV + patients on treatment with a good CD4 count (ie > 500) is generally excellent so the extent of and consequences of any remaining "holes" in the immune system due to long standing HIV Infection are unclear and under intense study. KH

Previous
Prezista vs Edurant
Next
i lipo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.