Buffallo hump or fat deposits

Dear doctor, My mum is having swell in back of her neck for the past two months all of sudden and she is feeling pain now a days. Iam much worried will it be serious, if we leave un treated. Doctors say that it should be operated to remove. Is there is any another solution without surgery. Now she is taking Stavudine, Lamivudine, Neviprine regimen. Whether this regimen has caused her this hump. Iam confused and worried. Please help me and suggest me what should I do next.

Fat problems, including buffalo hump in the neck, can be due to HIV Infection itself (higher risk with lower CD4 count ), and aggravated by certain drugs (stavudine associated more with fat loss). ALthough very annoying, such fat problems rarely are life threatening so often a decision has to be made between treating HIV infection (with high risk for bad outcome if treatment is stopped indefinitely) or switching medications (if that is an option) --for example changing the stavudine to tenofovir or abacavir. KH

Delayed / Prolonged side effects of efavirenz
garlic and sustiva