Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

We want to have a child and we discordant
Oct 30, 2011

hi Dr. we had out first born {baby keith} 4yrs age and in september 2011 we tested and my wife turned postive. i love her soo much and our wedding is in feb 2012. she is a medical personal, who aquired it through the medical practise which i belived.we openly talked and immedatily started having protected sex. we have plans of getting a child and wed next years, is there any other way we can have a baby without i getting infected? regards Henry B

Response from Dr. Henry

HIV discordant couples frequently are having healthy babies without the non-infected person getting infected. The first key variable is for the infected person (in this case your wife) to get on effective HIV medications and achieve HIV levels below the detection level. That makes it very unlikely that the baby will be infected. Options on how to safely conceive depend on many variables/local resouces and insurance matters. COnnecting with a local, supportive and experienced HIV provider is key first step in the process. KH

Previous
Food reactions
Next
right supraclevical lymph node swollen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.