Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Test results, Atripla, undetectable but low cd 4
Oct 16, 2011

Hello Dr Keith. Thanks for your support. I have been in treatment since last february. I started with a VL of 66 k(it got til 172k), 16.5% of CD4 (255). After two months I became undetectable and now my CD4 are around 300 and 23%. I am still undetectable (under 40 copies) But these numbers are still low, don't they? Should I be worry about this? what can I do to improve my numbers? I am on Atripla. All my numbers (liver function) are ok. My linfocites are within the normal range but always low. I always do the test at 7 am in the morning without having breakfast. I really appreciate your guidance...

Response from Dr. Henry

CD4 counts can be frustratingly variable. CD4 recovery after starting effective antiretroviral therapy is also quite variably. Though most patients see a good CD4 recovery a significant minority (ie 10-25%) dont experience much of a CD4 recovery initially despite good HIV suppression. There are many reasons for that including age (older age then often less CD4 recovery), scarring of lymph nodes, small thymic reserve, genetics, ongoing immune activation, and other factors. I would be patient-sometimes immune recovery can be slow but suppression of HIV replication is a key factor to maximize chances for CD4 increases over time. KH

Previous
Frequent Urination But Small Amount?
Next
Rash again even after switching meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.