Skin rashes

I have been on HAART treatment for one year now. In that time, my CD4 count has gone from 70 to 419. My viral level is now at 30.

Over the past few months, I have had the tendency to break out for short periods of time on various areas of my skin. I develop red bumps which scab over and then disappear. Is this a side of effect of the medication, or maybe the virus?

Many skin conditions including hyper-reactivity are common in HIV+ persons-often skin problems might flare up after effective HIV treatment has started with subsequent immune reconstitution. It would be unusual but still possible for the skin rash to be due directly/solely to one of the HIV drug in your regimen even after 1 year on what otherwise seems to be effective treatment. I often get a dermatology consult to try and make a more specific diagnosis. KH

Atripla and epilobium
Sangamo's SB-728 HIV Gene Therapy