Does HIV mean my Anal HPV pain will be forever?

Hello. I'm a gay man who has anal warts. In order to treat them my doctor recommended surgery under anaesthetic. I had my first surgery about 12 months ago. I had a lot of pain for a few weeks, but after that it was fine. I had a recurrence ofthe warts 6 months later and another surgery was scheduled. That surgery was completed and it was fairly extensive (a lot of removal). I had the same amount of pain afterward, but unlike the first surgery I still have pain 4 months later. The pain is diminished but when I have bowel movements it hurts and receptive sex is completely out of the question.

My doctor is not terribly forthcoming. Will this pain ever go away? Has anyone had a similar experience? Can you let me know? Also, should I get a new doctor. I do like my doctor and feel he has my best interest at heart, but I'm not getting a lot of information from him and I'm not certain if he doesn't want to promise or if there is no answer... Can someone help please?

I really want the pain to go away and I'm worried that because i have HIV this pain will be forever and I'll not be able to have receptive sex or a normal pain free bowel movement again... Thanks...

Management of anal warts due to HPV infection can be challenging even in the HIV-negative population. HIV+ persons often have a more difficult time managing recurrent anal warts. Getting treated for the HIV with recovery of immune function may help modestly and is often recommended. Pain and discomfort is common with anal warts and their treatment so situation is often very frustrating. In some of our patients it has taken months/close to years in some situations to achieve more comfortable/more normal bowel function. KH

Body wasting from HIV meds
Osteopenia